Posted by Wendy | Posted in Environmental, Me | Posted on 09-08-2009
Tags: Food, recycling, sustainability, wendy
On Day 2 I found myself thinking I might need some rules for this thing. I mean, is it OK for me to drink coffee made with a plastic coffeemaker? What about the groceries I already have that are lovingly wrapped with plastic?
With those questions fluttering through my head, I decided to make some rules. Here’s what I got. Feel free to give your opinion on the rules:
- Do not purchase any additional items containing plastic.
- Current food items are grandfathered in to the system. I’m sorry I just can’t let good food go to waste.
- Try to avoid all semi-permanent devices made of plastic. By semi-permanent device I’m thinking of a coffeemaker, hair dryer, Tupperware, etc. I say try because I do plan to be a good employee and go to work which means I need to use my plastic computer.
As for Day 2, I was at a fancy wedding so plastic wasn’t that difficult to avoid. The two times where I chose not to use plastic were:
(1) At McDonald’s between the wedding and the reception when I chose a vanilla cone to eat instead of a plastic-wrapped goodie and
(2) During desert when I had to manhandle the strawberries instead of using the plastic toothpicks. Don’t worry. I went for easy targets and didn’t touch any other strawberries that I wasn’t eating